Monday, January 26, 2009

Housing Decision

Lately I've been trying to decide if I want to get a place by myself or find a place with some roommates in Arizona. I've been weighing both sides and I'm having a hard time deciding.

If I live by myself then I will be able to find a place that suits my needs. I won't have to adjust to roommates. Do what I want to do, when I want to do it. It will be easier to keep the place clean. ;) On the other hand it has the potential to get really lonely. While I'm studying for and taking the CPA being lonely won't be such a bad thing.

If I live with roommates then it will be much easier to have a social life and meet friends. However, I won't have as much freedom as I will be sharing living room/kitchen space with roommates. Having a place with roommates will be slightly cheaper but that's not the biggest issue. I can find reasonbly priced 1 bedroom places.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a month to month place by myself and then looking for people I would like to have as roommates. One of my biggest fears of having roommates is getting some weirdos as roommates

I'm interested to hear what you think (if anyone still reads my blog). Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

12 comments:

corinneandmatt said...

I think you already have it figured out. Just rent a place month to month until you meet people you want to live with. If everyone is a weirdo then you have your answer. But lets be candid, give yourself a month or so and I bet you will find yourself a permanent roommate, if you know what I am saying (that means a girl, just in case). -Matt

Stephen Anderson said...

Actually the best way to go is to get your own place and find a girlfriend. Having a chika beats the crap out of having roommates any day.

Mike.Denae.Ty said...

Hey Ian,
We are enjoying your blog. Havasupai sounds like it would be a blast. I am just getting used to work and trying to squeeze in the regulations part of the CPA exam before busy season.

Good luck with the housing decision. Keep us posted.

Mike

Rachel F. said...

I agree with the general consensus - live alone, at least at first. Roommates only help you make friends if you like them and completely get along with them. Otherwise, they're a drag in so many ways.

Good luck!

Bethany said...

Alone. Just make sure you find an excuse at least once a week to get out and do something with somebody. Don't become a "stay-at-home-Ian."

Heidi said...

Just live with Liz.

Liz G. said...

Thanks Heidi.
There's no way you're living here! :)
Get your own place. Period. You'll be happy you did.

Ian said...

Liz, did Clark share his idea that i should live with you? He seems to think that I should just add an addition to the back of your house. He thinks it would increase the value of your house. It's pretty funny to hear him talk about it. Call him and ask him about it.

Kate said...

I will tell you when I lived in College Station (right before I met your cuz Corey) I lived alone in a one bedroom. Not bad since I lived close to so many people in my ward. I didn't have to worry about other people but in order to hang with Corey I went to Dan and Bonnie's. I think you will make a good decision for what will work for you. I hope you have a good last semester of school. :) PS-Add us to your blog list :)

Mr. Walker said...

My solution: Live at work.
No rent.
No commute.
No shame.

Make it happen Ian.

Heidi said...

My Deloitte had a shower room and a nap room. You should totally live at work.

Anonymous said...

You should live at home in Centerville and just borrow your roommate's Dad's airplane everyday and fly to work in Phoenix. I think there is even a car that he just leaves at the airport for you to drive to the office.